Thursday 30 June 2016

Mill Hill butterflies and Woods Mill moths

Azure Damselfly
On June 23rd I found a Silver Y moth in our flat. It posed nicely then flew off to continue its journey north, having been resting after its channel crossing.
  On Friday 24th I did my Mill Hill transect: Adonis Blue, Marbles White 4, Meadow Brown 7, Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Small Heath 10, Small Tortoiseshell, moths: Silver Y 4, Yellow Shell. 
  Afterwards I called in at Woods Mill where I found another Brown China-mark moth. There were plenty of Azure Damselflies flitting around. I also spotted four more Dingy Flat-body larvae. The original one I found on 19th had disappeared as its umbellifer food plant had been flattened by the rain. When I brought Sue here on 28th, these latest larval plants had also been flattened. I think inclement weather at the wrong time is one reason that many of our butterflies are having a third bad year judging from my transect results since 2014.
Silver Y, Autographa gamma
Woods Mill:
Azure Damselfly, Coenagrion puella
Bronze Shieldbug early instar, Troilus luridus with sawfly larva
Brown China-mark, Elophila nymphaeata
Common Froghopper, Philaenus spumarius
Common Froghopper
Common Nettle-tap, Anthophila fabriciana
Dark Strawberry Tortrix, Celypha lacunana
Dingy Flat-body larva, Depressaria daucella spinning cocoon
Dingy Flat-body larva, full cocoon
unidentified froghopper
Harlequin Ladybird larva, Harmonia axyridis
Lacehopper, Cixius nervosus
unidentified ladybird pupa
Mirid bug, Grypocoris stysi
Rove beetle, Tachyporus solutus
Rush Veneer, Nomophila noctuella
White-lipped Snail, Cepaea hortensis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.