Tuesday 15 March 2016

Small Tortoiseshells, a Goldcrest and tadpoles

Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae
Yesterday I visited Rewell Wood again and saw a Gold Crest and a Kestrel flying tree to tree across an open area. In a field I spotted some thrushes, which I believe are Mistle Thrushes. I then visited Ferring Rife following Neil's report of 15 Small Tortoiseshells on Sunday. I saw six, including two fighting. In the frog spawn pond the early ones have started hatching. I found a late clump of spawn on land where a pond had started to dry up, so I placed it in deep water.
Note to Twitter followers - see previous blog for Queen Hornet.
Rewell Wood:
Goldcrest, Regulus regulus
Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus
Mistle Thrush, Turdus viscivorus
Ferring Rife:
frog spawn on land
developing spawn

nearly ready
Marmalade Hoverfly, Episyrphus balteatus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.