Monday 14 March 2016

Marsh Tits, a queen Hornet and Crests

Marsh Tit, Poecile palustris
On Friday I joined Neil Hulme's work party at Rewell Wood where we widened a ride to create more woodland floor for the wood violets, food plant of the Pearl-bordered Fritillary. My friend Terry who lives nearby, joined me. I hope I can do as much work as he did if I reach 81 years! We saw a pair of Marsh Tits feeding on the path. We then visited Angmering Estate woods and I found a queen Hornet hibernating under the bark of a rotting log.
I returned to Rewell Wood on Saturday and saw one Marsh Tit in a yew tree and a Firecrest. On Sunday and today a Goldcrest appeared in the same place.
Angmering Estate woods:
Queen Hornet, Vespa crabro




Primroses, Primula vulgaris
Slime Mould, Metatrichia floriformis
Turkeytail, Trametes versicolor
Turkeytail
Rewell Wood Saturday:
Marsh Tit, Poecile palustris
Firecrest, Regulus ignicapillus
Firecrest



Firecrest
Sunday:
Firecrest, Regulus ignicapillus
Goldcrest, Regulus regulus
area cleared on Friday's work party

Velvet Shank, Flammulina velutipes
Wren, Troglodytes troglodytes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.