Monday 20 July 2015

Chalkhill Blues and Purple Emperors

Chalkhill Blues mating, Lysandra coridon
On Saturday morning I joined other volunteers at a Sussex Search and Rescue fund raiser at the Broadwater Carnival, Worthing. Then I met Neil Hulme at Knepp Castle Estate and saw my first Purple Emperors of the year including males fighting in the tree canopy. A Hobby flew overhead at one point, a first for me.
  On Sunday I did my weekly butterfly transect at Mill Hill: Chalkhill Blue 6, Essex Skipper 5, Gatekeeper  91, Green-veined White 5, Large Skipper 2, Large White 4, Marbled White 14, Meadow Brown 20, Peacock 7, Red Admiral 5, Small Tortoiseshell 1, Small White 4. These were the first Essex Skippers I have identified on this transect. Leigh had advised me of a colony near the lower car park in a previous year so it seems they have either spread north, else I have not previously distinguished them from Small Skippers.

  I then visited Kithurst Meadow, which was heaving with butterflies, including some Chalkhill Blues, a pristine male second brood Common Blue and a Painted Lady. Finally I checked out Houghton Forest, but still no Purple Emperors there.

"Bellydance Rocks" at Broadwater Carnival, Worthing
Knepp Castle Estate:
Belloc's Windmill is nearby
Neil Hulme's pin collection
Purple Emperor, Apatura iris

Mill Hill:
Essex Skipper, Thymelicus lineola
Gatekeeper, Pyronia tithonus
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Peacock, Inachis io
Six-Spot Burnet, Zygaena filipendulae
Yellow Shell, Camptogramma bilineata
Chalkhill Blues mating
Kithurst Meadow:
Brimstone, Gonepteryx rhamni
Chalkhill Blue, Lysandra coridon
Chalkhill Blue
Chalkhill Blue
Common Blue, Polyommatus icarus
Common Blue
Common Blue
Green-veined White, Pieris napi
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Oxeye Daisy, Leucanthemum vulgare
Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui
Peacock, Inachis io
Pearl Veneer, Agriphila straminella
Small White, Pieris rapae
Houghton Forest:
Large White, Pieris brassicae
Red Admiral, Vanessa atalanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.