Friday 26 December 2014

Dippers, Ollie and Bullfinches

Bullfinch, Pyrrhula pyrrhula
On Thursday I returned to Porter Brook and this time continued upstream from Forge Dam. I found bird droppings on rocks in the river which is indicative of the presence of Dippers. Redwings were feeding in a clump of holly trees bearing berries. Just before arriving at the car I saw a pair of Dippers fly upstream. One stopped for a photo and I spotted rings on its legs, which I have reported to the BTO. Hopefully I will find out when and where it was ringed.
We had a Turkey lunch with all the trimmings courtesy of Nute. We saw the four nieces whose range from 3 months to 15 years. Helen baked a wonderful chocolate log roll and ginger cake and Nute provided fruit salad which went well with my home-made strawberry ice cream.
This morning I walked Ollie in Endcliffe Park and checked for Dippers. Then I took Sue to Porter Brook and she survived the walk, which shows how well her new knees are performing. We saw a Grey Wagtail and some fungi.

Keith joined us for a leftovers lunch and I took flash photos of a Bullfinch, one of a pair which joined the Great Tits and Blue Tits at the feeder.
Dipper, Cinclus cinclus
Dipper
Grey Heron, Ardea cinerea
Grey Wagtail, Motacilla cinerea
Grey Wagtail
Porter Brook

Redwing, Turdus iliacus
Redwin
Nadine with baby Martha
Eleanor
Eleanor and Beth
Dec 26:
Lumpy Bracket, Trametes gibbosa
Ollie surveying his territory
Dipper dropping
Grey Wagtail, Motacilla cinerea
Grey Wagtail
Oyster Mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus
Turkeytail, Trametes versicolor
Blue Tit, Cyanistes caeruleus
Bullfinch, Pyrrhula pyrrhula


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.