Monday 24 March 2014

Barbary Partridge and a Goldcrest

Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae
On  Saturday I visited Ferring Rife where Small Tortoiseshells were flying. At Angmering Woods I spotted another female Chaffinch.
On Sunday I went metal detecting with my club. Roman coins were found, but my only find was a 1994 Gibraltar one penny which has a Barbary Partridge on the reverse. This bird is native to North Africa, Gibraltar and the Canary Islands. On my way home I passed through sleet so did not visit any other sites. At dusk we had our lounge curtains open and I looked up to see an orange canary fluttering outside the window. When I went over to open the window it rested on the outside sill then flew off.  

This afternoon I visited Angmering Woods and located a Goldcrest which stayed high in a pine.
female Chaffinch, Fringilla coelebs
Gibraltar one penny, 1994
Gibraltar one penny showing
Barbary Partridge
Goldcrest, Regulus regulus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.