Sunday 14 October 2012

Spindly fruit, runners and Small Coppers

Woody Nightshade fruit, Solanum dulcamara
This morning Sussex Search and Rescue marshalled the Chichester Half Marathon so by 9am I was at East Lavant for point duty. Our very own Nathan Brook was running to raise money for our charity: http://www.justgiving.com/Nathan-Brook  We had a training session on Thursday evening during which I found a juvenile toad on a woodland path.
  In the afternoon I went to Cissbury Ring to check out the butterfly activity on this puffy-cloud blue sky day. I saw 7 Small Coppers, all worn, 3 Red Admirals flying fast in various direction, and a White. I found several fruits, including that of a Spindle tree, the first time I have noticed this shrub.

views from Cissbury Ring:









Small Copper, Lycaena phlaeas
Small Copper, Lycaena phlaeas
Spindle fruit, Euonymus europaeus
Wild Strawberry, Fragaria vesca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.