Monday 12 March 2012

First Peacock at Mill Hill

Peacock, Inachis io
Today was warm and cloudless so I headed off to Mill Hill again. after lunch. I met Andy who advised there was a peacock butterfly around. This was good news as I haven't seen a UK butterfly this year. After an unsuccessful  search along the bottom of the hill for adders I saw the Peacock. It was delightful to see this butterfly in good condition landing on the chalky soil. A male Linnet sang from the top of a tree. After another walk along the bottom I returned to the path and spotted a grey adder under the bushes where I had seen adder number 4 on Saturday so I assume it was the same one. This time I had a good view of its head before it slithered off. There were lovely violets out. Those at the bottom of the hill were a different colour from the ones  at the top.
Adder, Vipera berus

male Linnet
Violets

Violets at the hill top

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.