Tuesday 16 August 2011

Brown Hairsteak at Steyning

Brown Hairstreak
On Sunday the club dig was at the charity dig organised by a Lions club at West Chiltington. The day was cool and perfect, but the finds were disappointing. I had a George (III?) halfpenny, a 1966 florin (two shillings = 10p), 2 buttons and an unrecognisable coin made into a pendant. I saw a very nice purse holder, and heard than some Roman grots were found.
stubble field
This strange plane played in the sky above us
On Monday Sue was laid up with the worst arthritis attack I can remember, so I stayed in. Today she is was much better so I did my weekly transect at Mill Hill: 61 Adonis Blue, 18 Chalkhill Blue, 2 Common Blue, 2 Dingy Skipper, 26 Gatekeeper, 46 Meadow Brown, 1 Red Admiral, 10 Small Heath.
Then I went to Steyning where I met Richard and Sherie and a couple from Cambridgeshire who I had talked to at Mill Hill. We were all there for the Brown Hairstreak, but the weather was against us. One torn female was down on the blackthorn so I managed to get some shots. I then headed for Kithurst Hill where I found some Chalkhill Blues.
When I returned I was delighted to find an email informing me that my photo of a Cinnebar Moth caterpillar was featured on the website of Great British Life magazine:
http://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/top-10-insect-photographs-from-great-british-life--editors-pick-34880/
Mill Hill:
mating Adonis Blues (male on right)
Nikon D90/Sigma 180 macro lens
mating Adonis Blues (male on right)
Canon G9 compact, macro mode
mating Adonis Blues (male on left)
Nikon D90/Sigma 180 macro lens
mating Adonis Blues (male on left)
Canon G9 compact, macro mode
Adonis Blue
Steyning Rifle Range:
entrance to Steyning Downland Scheme
Kithurst Hill:
Worn Speckled Wood
Small Heath
Chalkhill Blue
Chalkhill Blue

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations again Col. When can we expect to see you trawling through the undergrowth with an Attenborough or Mr Packham?
    Also, lovely work with the D90. The mating Adonis Blues shot is fantastic. Nice work.

    p.s. Hope Sue is feeling better, pass our love from all of us here at the farm.

    ReplyDelete

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.