Thursday 1 July 2010

Five Emperors on the path

A trip to Southwater Woods again this morning to show Sue and Julie the wonders of our local butterflies turned into a spectacular Purple Emperor encounter. We found five on the ground, three at one spot which we shared with other enthusiasts.
I saw a black form of a Meadow Brown, but wasn’t able to get a photo.

I saw a roe deer on a side path. It came towards me then dashed off into the woods. On looking at the photo I believe I can see a fawn lying in the grass behind and to the left.
There were many fox gloves at one point, some seven feet tall.
A spider was eating a fly on top of the bracken where we were entertained by a Silver-washed Fritillary the day before.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing close encounter Col! I met two roe deer on the way home from work a couple of weeks ago and (stupidly) I tried to open the window to get a better look and they both melted into the undergrowth without trace. Lovely picture, well done.

    Love to all and see you in 9 days,

    Dan and Gabi x

    ReplyDelete

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.