Wednesday 2 June 2010

Steyning Downland plant survey

Today was a beautiful summer day following yesterday’s drizzle and I attended a training session with the Steyning Downland scheme to participate in a survey of the plants on their site. 
Several experts in plant identification tutored us as they made the first survey for decades. We learnt what flora was present which will make it much easier when identifying them during the monthly surveys. During the lunch break I found a couple of beetles to point my lens at.


Some of us then visited old chalk workings where Wall Browns were abundant annd I found a Burnet moth caterpillar, probably a six-spot from the distribution data although the five-spot larva looks similar.

 I cannot identify this small (1.5cm) flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.